Forklift / Powered Industrial Truck
Powered industrial trucks, commonly called forklifts or lift trucks, are used in many industries, primarily to move materials. Forklift operators must know how to do the job properly and safely. OSHA requires the operator to be trained through a 3-phase training; formal instruction, practical training, and evaluation of the operator's performance in the workplace. (1910.178 Subpart N, Powered Industrial Trucks.)
This training class will cover only the formal instruction and will include the following topics:
This training class will cover only the formal instruction and will include the following topics:?
- Operating instructions, warnings, and precautions
- Differences between the truck and the automobile.
- Truck controls and instrumentation.
- Engine or motor operation.
- Steering and maneuvering.
- Visibility (including restrictions due to loading).
- Fork and attachment adaptation, operation, and use limitations.
- Vehicle capacity and stability.
- Vehicle inspection and maintenance.
- Procedures for refueling and/or charging and recharging of batteries.
- Operating limitations.
- Surface conditions where the vehicle will be operated.
- Composition of loads to be carried and load stability.
- Load manipulation, stacking, and unstacking.
- Pedestrian traffic in areas where the vehicle will be operated.
- Narrow aisles and other restricted places where the vehicle will be operated.
- Hazardous (classified) locations where the vehicle will be operated.
- Ramps and other sloped surfaces that could affect the vehicle's stability.
- Closed environments and other areas where insufficient ventilation or poor vehicle maintenance could cause a buildup of carbon monoxide or diesel exhaust.
Cancellation without penalty may be made up to three working days prior to the seminar date. Cancellation after that date will be charged 50% of the fee. You may avoid this charge by transferring your registration to another person. Registrants who do not cancel are liable for the entire fee. ALL REFUNDS WILL BE IN THE FORM OF A CREDIT VOUCHER. This cancellation policy is standard with all Iowa-Illinois Safety Council sponsored programs.
The Iowa-Illinois Safety Council programs strive to accurately meet every applicable Federal, State and Local requirements as well as established best practices. By engaging us you agree that, to the fullest extent permitted by law, Iowa-Illinois Safety Council shall not be liable in contract or tort or otherwise to you or to your company for any of your losses, fines, liabilities, exposures, or any of your incidental, special, indirect or consequential damages of any kind.
Photographs and/or videos of people attending Iowa-Illinois Safety Council’s (IISC) events may be used for IISC’s social media and promotion materials.
1501 42nd Ste STE 100
West Des Moines
Date & Time
Person(s) to Register