Audiometric ReCertification Course(Registration Closed)
**THIS COUSE IS FULL TO BE PUT ON THE WAITLIST IN THE EVENT OF ANY CANCELLATIONS PLEASE EMAIL CHRISTINE@IISC.ORG**
***If your certification will expire before you are able to attend a recertification class, please file for an extension with CAOHC at https://caohc.execinc.com/edibo/OHCExtension/. This helps to ensure that your certification will not lapse in the meantime. ***
This one day (8-hour) course meets CAOHC requirements to re-certify those who are already CAOHC certified. Core topics that were taught in the initial course will be reviewed. Attendees will also undergo both audiometric hearing test and hearing protection practicum to demonstrate proficiency in these two skills. Ample time allotments are provided for practice and counseling to assure registrants opportunity to develop proficiency.
Occupational health nurses, Occupational Physicians, Industrial Hygienists, Industrial safety specialists, and Human resource personnel.
Upon completion of this program, the participant will be able to:
- Apply and administer reliable and accurate pure tone hearing tests.
- Summarize and articulate the results of audiometric test results to employees in a meaningful manner, and, if needed, initiate referrals for medical and/or audiological evaluation as needed.
- Apply skills to perform periodic functional checks, calibration checks, and proper cleaning and maintaining of audiometric equipment.
- Assess the condition of the external ear prior to initiating a hearing test and the fitting of appropriate hearing protection devices.
- Apply knowledge and skills to assist the adequacy and appropriateness of hearing protection devices in relation to the noise exposure of employees.
- Incorporate and produce education and training services to all noise-exposed employees as required by OSHA.
- Interpret results of noise surveys in relation of the requirements of OSHA for a Hearing Conservation Program.
- Provide meaningful information on hearing conservation matters to the hearing conservation or safety committee.
- Integrate knowledge learned to comply with hearing conservation recordkeeping and documentation required under state and federal laws on behalf of the employer.
Attendees for the recertification course must bring a copy of current
CAOHC certificate to class for validation.
Attendees are encouraged to bring their own otoscope and audiometer.
Registration fees include course materials & CAOHC Certificates.
Nursing Contact Hours Available:
Audiometric certification three-day course: $39 / 20.5 contact hours approved by IBON Provider #22 DMACC
One-day re-certification course: $37 / 8 contact hours approved by IBON Provider #22 DMACC
YOU MUST SIGN UP AND PAY FOR Contact hours DURING THE CLASS (not before or after).
CASH OR CHECK ONLY. **Please bring your nursing license number**
Full attendance is required - no partial credit will be awarded.
It is the licensee’s responsibility to determine if the education programs they attend meet the requirements of their professional licensure board.
ReCertification Course Outline
- Hearing Protection Devices with Fitting Practicum
- Employee Education & Motivation
- Audiogram Review Referral & Employee Follow-up
- Federal & State Regulations Relating to Noise & Hearing Loss
- The Audiometer & Test Environment
- Audiometric Techniques
- Supervised Audiometric Testing Practicum
- Program Evaluation
- Review of Hearing Conservation
- Course Exam
Jim has been president and senior occupational audiologist for Indianapolis based Workplace Integra- Midwest since July 2002. Prior to that, he worked as an occupational audiologist for a consulting industrial hygiene and safety firm for four years, a US Army audiologist for twenty-one years, and a school audiologist for five years. As a military audiologist, Jim received the 1995 Military Audiology Association Founder’s Award for outstanding audiologist of the year. He has held the Certificate of Clinical Competence in Audiology (CCC-A) from the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) since 1975. Within the Council for Accreditation in Occupational Hearing Conservation (CAOHC), Jim has been a certified course director since 1985.
Jim has been an active member of the National Hearing Conservation Association (NHCA) since 1999. He assisted the Scholarship Foundation by serving as coordinator for money-raising activities from 2005-2007. Later, he served as Secretary on the Foundation from 2008-2010. Jim served as Secretary/Treasurer on the NHCA Executive Council from 2006-2008. He served as 2012 Program Chair for the association’s 37th and 40th Annual Conferences. In 2016, Jim was elected President of NHCA. After serving his term in office, he was subsequently elected President of the Scholarship Foundation in 2018.
Jim holds an undergraduate degree in speech pathology from the University of Wisconsin- Milwaukee (1971) and a master’s degree in audiology from Western Illinois University (1973).
Upon completion and a passing score on the final examination, a Certificate of Completion will be issued to registrants. CAOHC certification fee is included in your registration free.
Registration/Sign-in: 7:30 am
Class Time: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Contact Info: Christine Reed - 515-276-4724 ext. 226
Click here for a list of local hotel accommodations.
Cancellation without penalty may be made up to five working days prior to the seminar date. Cancellation after that date will be charged 50% of the fee. You may avoid this charge by transferring your registration to another person. Registrants who do not cancel are liable for the entire fee. ALL REFUNDS WILL BE IN THE FORM OF A CREDIT VOUCHER. This cancellation policy is standard with all Iowa-Illinois Safety Council sponsored programs.
Photographs and/or videos of people attending Iowa-Illinois Safety Council’s (IISC) events may be used for IISC’s social media and promotion materials.
The Iowa-Illinois Safety Council programs strive to accurately meet every applicable Federal, State and Local requirements as well as established best practices. By engaging us you agree that, to the fullest extent permitted by law, Iowa-Illinois Safety Council shall not be liable in contract or tort or otherwise to you or to your company for any of your losses, fines, liabilities, exposures, or any of your incidental, special, indirect or consequential damages of any kind.
In-Person Class Procedures due to Covid-19 (PLEASE READ)
While attending classes at our facility the following pandemic measures will apply:
- Attendees must be symptom free-if it appears you have symptoms you will not be able to attend the class and will be asked to leave;
- If you feel ill, develop symptoms, or have contact with anyone that is confirmed or suspected of having COViD-19 while attending one of our classes please do not return to the classroom, we will work with you to help you complete the class at a later date;
- Handwashing must be conducted or hand sanitizer must be used periodically at least-before class, during breaks, after lunch, after coughing or sneezing;
- The classroom will be set-up to ensure there is at least 6 feet of space between each student-please do not reduce this space and use only your assigned space, we ask that you are cognizant at all times of your movements for the safety and comfort of other attendees;
- Only bring to class the materials you received from us and nothing else unless instructed otherwise, if you are using electronic materials we have sent you, you may bring your laptop to view those materials;
- Take all materials with you at the end of each class day, any trash you accumulate must be disposed of by you;
- We will not provide any food, you will need to consume food on breaks or during lunch outside of our facility;
- We will allow one drink container in your assigned space, we may provide water bottles but we will not provide any other beverage;
- We will sanitize the classroom after each class day;
- If you feel more comfortable wearing a mask or face covering while in our facility please do so, we are not requiring attendees or staff to wear them
1501 42nd St STE 100
West Des Moines
Date & Time
Person(s) to Register