This course is tailored for individuals who will be designated as Competent Persons under the requirements of the silica final rule. Receive training to ensure your company's compliance with the new silica regulations.
OSHA estimates that the rule will save over 600 lives and prevent more than 900 new cases of silicosis each year, once its effects are fully realized. The Final Rule is projected to provide net benefits of about $7.7 billion, annually.
- How to identify silica hazards in the workplace
- Health hazards associated with silica exposure
- How to protect employees and properly mitigate exposure
- How to fully comply with all parts of the new regulations, including: compliant tools and engineering controls, air sampling, medical monitoring, and written program requirements
Who Should Attend?
Safety managers or directors. Employees that work with concrete or may encounter silica as part of their day to day work.
Both standards contained in the final rule took effect on June 23, 2016., after which industries have one to five years to comply with most requirements, based on the following schedule:
***OSHA is delaying enforcement of Silica in Iowa for 30 days
- Construction - September 23, 2017. OSHA delayed enforcement in order to conduct additional outreach and provide educational materials and guidance for employer. See the memorandum.
- General Industry and Maritime - June 23, 2018, two years after the effective date.
- Hydraulic Fracturing - June 23, 2018, two years after the effective date for all provisions except Engineering Controls, which have a compliance date of June 23, 2021.
Cancellation without penalty may be made up to five working days prior to the seminar date. Cancellation after that date will be charged 50% of the fee. You may avoid this charge by transferring your registration to another person. Registrants who do not cancel are liable for the entire fee. ALL REFUNDS WILL BE IN THE FORM OF A CREDIT VOUCHER. This cancellation policy is standard with all Iowa-Illinois Safety Council sponsored programs.
Photographs and/or videos of people attending Iowa-Illinois Safety Council’s (IISC) events may be used for IISC’s social media and promotion materials.
1501 42nd St STE 100
West Des Moines
Date & Time
Person(s) to Register
A late fee of $30.00 will be added per attendee.